Friday, July 3, 2015

Everything I Know About Media Training, I Learned in This 1 Minute From Gone Girl


NICK
I did not kill my wife.

TANNER
Why don’t you try it again, a little less wooden?

NICK
I didn’t kill my wife.

[Tanner throws a Gummy bear at Nick.]

What are you doing?

TANNER
Every time you look smug or annoyed or tense, I’m going to hit you with a Gummy bear.

NICK
That supposed to make me less tense?

TANNER
Let’s try it again.

Mr. Dunn, from what I understand, you and your wife had some bumps.

NICK
Yeah, we had some tough years. I lost my job.

TANNER
You both did.

NICK
We both lost our jobs. I had to move back home so we could take care of my mother, who was dying of cancer. My dad…

TANNER
Your dad’s scorched earth. Let’s talk about your mom—how close you were. Go on.

NICK
For a while, things had been building up.

TANNER
“Built up” implies that an explosion is coming up. No.

NICK
At a certain point, we got on the wrong track. I had a moment of weakness.

TANNER
Your moment was over 15 months.

NICK
I disrespected my wife. And I disrespected my marriage. And I’ll always regret it.

TANNER
That works.

Related: PR Lessons from Gone Girl