Tuesday, March 5, 2019

What to Say to a Client Who Balks at Your Price

Here’s part of an email I just sent to a prospective client about a Wikipedia project:

A few points to consider:

1. You Only Get One Chance to Make a First Impression

Many clients have come to me after trying to do this in-house or hiring someone less expensive. That’s because Wikipedia is notoriously, and opaquely, unforgiving with policy violations. So, whichever route you end up pursuing, I’d encourage you to remember that if you don’t succeed with your first attempt, that’ll only heighten the scrutiny your page attracts when you try again.

2. My Price Is Very Competitive

The other thing: I’m cheaper than my two main competitors, one of whom charges $[Redacted]/month, with a three-month minimum, the other of whom charges an initial fee of $[Redacted]. So, my flat fee of $[Redacted] is a pretty good deal.

3. This Is an Investment in Your Digital Reputation

Finally, you’re right: $[Redacted] is a lot of money. I’d encourage you to think of this project as an investment in [Redacted]’s digital reputation. This kind of work is highly specialized because if you do it wrong, the results can easily backfire. But if you do it right, the results will endure.